Friday, July 15, 2005

My Hallway

Have you ever tried sleeping in a hallway before? I have, every single night of my life for the past 5 years! Somehow when we moved to Washington everyone but Josiah and I got a normal room. Joey got the laundry room and I was honored with the third floor hallway. To be honest that’s what I had wanted and Mom gave it to me when I asked for it.

For the first three years and it was great fun. That was because I was always the last one in bed and nobody would wake me up during the night. Now I'm the first one in bed and right about the time I'm closing my eyes Kelsey and Kaylie decide to brush their teeth (the bathroom is about 4 feet away from my bed) Nothing wrong if you tiptoe across my hallway right? Of course not! Problem is they don't tiptoe; they turn on the light, crash into my desk while telling jokes to each other. When they finally are done they both go to bed and Kaylie decides she wants to listen to an Odyssey. That's fine too, only thing is that it's a cd and they aren't like tapes. Cd's go on and on and on until someone gets up and turns them off. That person is of course........me.

Kelsey and Kaylie are in bed, asleep, ahhh....now it's my turn to close my eyes.

KRISTI'S HOME!!!!

Kristi likes her tea at night and she has a horrid habit of leaving the tea kettle on. Soon, I hear the kettle screaming louder than anything while Kristi is out in her car looking for her tea bags. Down the stairs I run, praying no one else is waking up. I mumble something to Kristi about her burning the house down and then stumble back to bed.

Well, what do ya know Karin just got called off work (she works night shift) she is wide awake from sleeping all day so she takes Kristi's laptop, plops down on her bed, in her room which is right next to my room and starts watching "Phantom Of The Opera." Now, I love "P.O.T.O. just not at 1:00 in the morning! Kristi comes walking up the stairs drinking her tea (and spilling it)
"Oh! I just love this song" she exclaims. She's just heard the music from POTO coming through the walls in her and Karin's room.

Kristi starts singing.

When Kristi sings it takes about three hours to make her stop. I give up; I sit up, turn on my lamp and begin reading a book. After a while I join Kristi and Karin in their room and watch POTO with them. We are having such a good, jolly time until Kelsey pokes her head in the room and says;
"Guys, please be quiet, you woke me up."

My Grandma from the middle floor yells up to us;
"You kids still up? I mean it now, go to bed!"

My mom from two stories down comes into room.
"What are you girls up to at this time of night? Kimi?! I thought you said you were going to bed early. What are you doing still up?"

We all go to bed only to wake up an hour later for breakfast.

8 Comments:

At 2:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You had me laughing hysterically! That's an interesting interpretation of "Life after 9 PM" though the eyes of Kimberly Sebens.I guess you do have it pretty bad, huh? You poor darling! I have a great solution though, find a job where you can work night shift, then you can watch POTO WITH me at 1 in the morning.

 
At 3:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would never survive in your hallway room, Kimi! Maybe Kaylie wants to switch rooms??? You poor dear:-)

 
At 3:29 PM, Blogger Kristi said...

Hey Kimi, I think it is only fair for you to tell about the time that I was so concerned about waking you up that I didn't turn on ANY lights to get up the stairs and get ready for bed, and then almost died in a tragic collision with your bookshelf.
Twas very noble of me I think!

Yeah...there kind of is a lot of tea stains on your carpet isn't there?

 
At 4:35 PM, Blogger Crystal said...

Wow! Makes my quite only child life seem somewhat desirable after reading your post! I don't think I would be able to survive for too long living like that so I hope it doesn't happen like that every night...Sleep deprivation might have something to do with this recent rash of blondness...ya think??? Just a thought. LOL
Say if I were you I think I would have invested in a good pair of ear plugs and a nice comfy blinder a long time ago. I wear one sometimes as it is with just mom home when I am trying to sleep and she has the lights on and it works beautifully.

Kristi I do think that was quite noble of you to risk your neck for her sleep ONE NIGHT! My, my, adventures I have been deprived of. :-)

 
At 12:58 PM, Blogger Kristi said...

Lydia, at least one of things I mentioned happens every night, but usualy not all of them at the same time.

Chris, I guess I'm sorta forced to be a night person:) My Mom doesn't turn off the kettle cause usually I get to it before she does.
I must admit that I do love my night life even if it does mean little sleep sometimes.

Karin, If I have trouble sleeping at night from all the noise, think how awful it would be to have to sleep during the day when everyone is up and doing stuff. Honesly I have no idea how you, Kristi and Dad do it.

Anonymous, NO! Kaylie may not have my room:)

Kristi, while it was very noble of you to cross my hallway without a light, but you actually caused more noise and damage than if you had turned on the light. It's the thought that counts though so thank-you dear sister. I hope bruises were not to painful!

Crystal, I had no idea you were an only child. I can not even picture myself as one:)
I think I will invest in some ear plugs and a blinder. I did have a blinder once, but I left it in the freezer to long and now its just a chuck of ice!

 
At 11:34 PM, Blogger Crystal said...

Kimi,
I am sure you can't quite imagine not having your tribe around stirring up noise and confusion! And I think I might find it quite exhausting for a while at least until I got used to it if we had to walk in one another's shoes.
Just to set the record straight my blinder is not a stick the freezer sort. It is just a nice little soft cloth number with some elastic bands around the back. I wouldn't suggest getting anothe freezer type if you are hoping to get some sleep with it one! LOL

 
At 7:49 AM, Blogger Kristi said...

Kati, bring the Three Musketeers up with you, we'll set your laptop on my desk and watch it from my bed just like we did before you left for Bangladesh.

I do remember your bedroom situations, I think you had it worse than I! Just think, now you have your very own apartment. No more dealing with playrooms, laudry rooms or creepy basements with spiders:)

 
At 7:50 AM, Blogger Kristi said...

Whoops! I forgot to say......WELCOME TO THE WONDERFUL WORLD OF BLOGS KATI ANN!!!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home